Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Famous Veggie Sandwich


I've had a couple of requests for my veggie sandwich, so thought I'd share the recipe today. To me, good recipes are like good books: they just beg to be shared. This is one of those recipes that proves the old saying "the secret's in the sauce."


Karen's Veggie Sandwich

Honey mustard sauce

1 cup of mayonaise
1/3 to 1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/2 to 1 tsp of Garlic powder
1/2 to 1 tsp of onion powder

Combine and mix well.

Sandwich
Two slices of sturdy bread, like a multigrain
Cucumber cut in half and sliced lengthwise
Tomato
Avacado
Onion, preferably Walla Walla or Vidalia (sweet)
Bell pepper
A sweet cheese like Muenster or Provolone, though any kind will do
Alfalfa sprouts
Banana peppers (optional-my friends like them, I'm so-so)
Sliced olives
Pecan chips

Slather honey mustard sauce on both sides of breath. On one slice, layer cheese, cucumber, tomato, avacado, bell pepper, onion, and sprouts, then drizzle more sauce on the sprouts. Add olives and pecans, then top the sandwich with the other slice of bread.

It's about the messiest sandwich you'll ever eat, but it's worth the clean-up. You don't even miss the meat!

If you decide to try it, let me know what you think.

Quote of the Day:
"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one."
~Baltasar Gracián


3 comments:

Christine said...

I am so going to try this. Not sure about the Avacados, but the rest sounds wonderful. Will let you know.

Hugs

Shari said...

Ahhh . . . Veggies sandwiches. Mmm Mmmmm Yummy.

Nichole Giles said...

Sounds so yummy! I'll have to give it a try soon.

Nichole