Friday, February 6, 2009

Love #6


It's been six months today since my mom passed away, and so in honor of her, love number six is for my mother, Earlene. She was my friend, my confidante, and my hero and was one of those rare individuals who spread light around her wherever she went.

She always made time for me, whether for big things or small, and so many times I thought I would be in huge trouble over something I had to talk to her about, she understood. My brother loves to tell the story of when I was 5 and scratched the heck out of the rocking chair for no good reason. When Mom found it and demanded to know who had done it, I immediately pointed at him. When she came after him for a spanking he kept saying, "What did I do? What did I do?" and her answer was "You know what you did." I felt so guilty for getting my little brother in trouble I finally confessed and begged, "Spank me, Mom. Spank me!"

She refused. Sean never let me live that down, but that's the kind of mom she was. She let life teach us our lessons and for the most part didn't spank us often.

My favorite times with Mom were roadtrips. Being locked in a car for hours on end is a great way to get to know someone and I think that's why we became as good of friends as we were. We would spend that time talking about anything and everything. She would share her memories with me, like the time she got caught on the railroad bridge with a train coming and had to hang over the side until it had passed. Or what had made her pursue my father until he agreed to marry her, despite their age difference. She told me stories of her life and mine and shared her testimony of the Savior every chance she got.

So, instead of focusing on the sorrow of her loss, today I celebrate her life. Today I remember her for the grand example she was and rejoice that I had a mother as precious and heavenly as I did. My mom truly was an angel.

6 comments:

Shari said...

Yes, she was. I'm glad you decided to celebrate her today. I miss her, but I'm truly grateful for the opportunity to know her.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thank you, sister-friend!

Christine said...

I can't even imagine what you must be going through today, but know that you are near and dear to my heart. I'm glad for our new friendship and hope it grows.

Hugs

Melinda said...

That was beautiful. If my daughter said even those things about me, I would feel my life had been successful.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Your post reminds me of that quote: "No success can compensate . . ." Your mother succeeded.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thanks you guys. It wasn't an easy couple of days, but was better than I'd expected. I so appreciate your thoughts and comments.