Sunday, February 8, 2009

Love #8


My sons. I spent seven years trying to become a mother but my body betrayed me time and time again. The ache in my heart was a galaxian void that nothing could fill.

And then they came. Wounded, neglected, and oh so wild these boys entered my home and consumed my heart, filling the void that nothing else could. They had a hard beginning, and struggle daily with challenges still, but they are precious, with hearts big enough to overcome the hurt and dish out a universe of love.

They healed the hole in my heart and gave me the thing I wanted most in this life: A family. It matters not that we don't share blood, for the greatest thing I have discovered in adopting my sons is this. That old saying about blood being thicker than water may be true in a scientific sense, but there is something much, much thicker than blood--

--Love.

6 comments:

Christine said...

I love this post, Karen. Just one more thing we have in common. I also have two boys, Steven is from my husbands previous marriage and Joshua was adopted. I was never able to have children. We had both of the boys sealed to us at the same time. What a wonderful day that was. And you are right. Love is thicker than blood.

Nichole Giles said...

You're absolutely right. There need not be common blood for parents to love their children in every possible capacity.

Love can span planets, galaxies, and universes. And love can be given in much bigger quantities than blood.

Nichole

Shari said...

I love your boys, too. They are each very special. How could they not be? Look at their Mom.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Awww, you guys are awesome. Thanks a bunch for your comments.

Melinda said...

I love this post. I can't even add anything to it. I just love it.

ali cross said...

That is wonderful Karen. Hugs.