Friday, August 31, 2007

Renovations Part 1

I told you guys I'd keep you updated on the progress of the renovations in my house. I started with my den because I knew I needed a refuge from all the chaos I was about to create. so here is project number one.

I got my new bookshelves built and installed and wanted to show them off a bit. So here is the 'before' and 'after' what I call my "wolf wall":


Before:




After:
I'm very excited to have some more space for the books that were sitting in a box. I am considering moving all the wolves and dragons to my red wall and extending the bookcase to the ceiling though. Isn't it perdy? I still need to put a strip of trim at the bottom, but for functionality, it is finished!

In other news, our writing group had a luncheon with James Dashner last Saturday.

James was great. He asked all of us where we were at with our writing and encouraged us to keep going. In my case he threatened me! See, I've been stuck on one particular chapter of content edits for ages and just couldn't seem to make myself sit down long enough to do it. James told me that if I didn't finish it by Saturday, September 1st, he was going to tell Annette Lyon and Heather Moore not to accept my registration for the next LDStorymakers conference. Well, I couldn't let that happen! So today, my dear friend Shanna offered to watch my suspended-from-school son for a couple of hours so I could finish it up in her writing room.

Well, I am very pleased to announce that I DID IT! I told everybody at the luncheon that I worked well under pressure (though I probably shouldn't let that be widely spread about). I always performed better than I practiced with music and tested better than I did at homework. Thanks, James and Shanna, for kicking my butt and making me get this done. Now I've just got to do line edits.

Back to work I go!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on getting it done, Karen.

Looks like your writing group had a great time with James. I'm jealous. Be sure and invite me some time, I'll make the time for you.

Okay. I'm kidding . . . no, I'm not. Shameless self-promotion, sorry 'bout that.

Your wall looks great. Are those Nancy Drew books I see?

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thanks, Candace. Yes, those are Nancy Drew books. I used to have the first 53 first edition books and I sold them. I didn't realize they had any value at the time, so I am collecting them again, one at a time. Not first editions, of course, but at least I have the words.

You are definitely on our list of authors to contact. We were only doing these luncheons on the fifth saturdays, but we've had so much fun we decided it wasn't enough and have been doing it about every other month, though if the group agrees, we might even do it monthly if enough authors are interested. It is very rewarding for us and the authors get a free lunch out of it and the opportunity to visit with a group of people who take their writing very seriously. In my opinion, we all benefit. Don't feel bad about the "shameless self-promotion". We LOVE knowing who is interested in meeting with us. It makes approaching you guys a lot less nerve wracking! :D

Tristi Pinkston said...

So, threatening you is what it takes, huh? Okay, let's all take turns threatening Karen weekly. See, I know Annette and Heather too, bwaaahaaahaaaa!!

Like your shelves, by the way.

Karen E. Hoover said...

LOL! NOOOO!!! I knew I shouldn't have let slip that tidbit. Glad you like the shelves. I do too!

Karlene said...

I love new bookshelves. They're the best thing. When I moved my company into a warehouse a couple of years ago, I needed to create some office space for me. Building walls was out of the question. I ended up buying 11 tall bookcases and creating two walls by lining them up side by side. They were fastened to some heavy metal shelving on the other side. It was wonderful--like my own miniature Beauty & the Beast library.

Jenn said...

I love your new bookshelves! We are about to have our basement finished and when it's done, I'm going to have an entire room to myself. I have four bookshelves that will go in there and I absolutely can't wait. Good job on finishing the editing, too. Keep up the good work. :D

Marta O. Smith said...

Your writer's group sounds like so much fun! I wish we had ended up moving to Tooele, but unfortunately (in this context) my husband received a job offer locally and we decided to stay put.

Have you ever read the Trixie Belden books? They are for a slightly younger age group, think Nancy Drew in Junior High. I just loved them as I was growing up.

Julie Wright said...

I love the shelves! And I'm threatening you too!!! I'm going to kick your backside if you don't get it in gear! Love you girl!

Cindy Beck, author said...

Karen,
Cool shelves and I love your wolves.

Congrats on meeting your goal, even if it did require some butt-kicking. :)

G. Parker said...

Great job!! Knew you had it in you.

Unknown said...

Wow, Karen. Getting threatened left and right!

I'm back again with a really fun idea:

I'll admit it, I ripped this idea off the JustaBeachKat blog. But every woman blogger in my area of the country, within driving distance, let's get together for lunch? How fun would that be . . . it will be the first meeting of the Utah Chapter of BEAUTIFUL BABBLING BOISTEROUS BLOGGING BABES. Email me at ces@candacesalima.com and let's pick a day for our first meeting!

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

Love the book shelves, and the pic's above, makes me want a space of my own. I need to borrow Counting Stars some time I really want to reead it I saw a preview on someones blog and it looked really good.
Michelle

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thanks everybody! It's nice to have all of your support. Glad you like the bookshelves. I'm kind of partial to them.