Friday, April 9, 2010

Book Review: Secret Sisters by Tristi Pinkston

Disclaimer: Tristi Pinkston and I are both published by Valor Publishing Group and Trist and I have known each other for several years. She is also my editor. Believe it or not, this in no way affects my review of her book and I am giving my honest opinion of her work, editor or not.

Now on to the review!

Ida Mae Babbitt, president of the Omni 2nd ward Relief Society, didn't mean to become a spy. But when visiting teaching stats are low and she learns that one family under her care is in financial trouble, she'll do whatever it takes to make sure they have what they need. If that includes planting surveillance cameras in their home and watching them from a parked car in the woods, well, isn't that what any caring Relief Society president would do?

With the help of her counselors Arlette and Tansy, Ida Mae soon learns that there's more to the situation than meets the eye. It's all in a day's work for the Relief Society.

Tristi Pinkston has been compared to a meshing of Mary Higgins Clark and Erma Bombeck, and I couldn't agree more wholeheartedly. I've always been a huge fantasy reader, but my first love of books, and what continues to be my close second favorite, are mysteries, first in the Nancy Drew books, and now in writers like J.A. Jance.

Tristi not only writes one heck of a mystery, but her characters are laugh out loud in PUBLIC hilarious. I have more than once had strange looks directed my way as I was laughing so hard my face was planted in the book and I was doubled over laughing. I think my favorite line from Secret sisters was when Ren called the sisters "blue haired ladies" and Arlette took offense and said, "Would you like me to call you a muppet?" I don't know why, but that struck me as absolutely hilarious. And the final big scene in the book involved a cast iron frying pan and knitting needles being brandished as weapons . . . well, let's just say I had to find a restroom and fast, which is hard to do when you are nearly crawling because you're laughing so hard.

I've always known Tristi was a brilliant editor, but she has proven once more how good she is at the craft of writing. I won't spoil the book for you, but if you're looking for a good clean read, a great mystery, and a dose of laughter, pick up Secret Sisters. You won't regret it.

If you'd like to purchase Secret Sisters now while you're thinking about it, go HERE.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mysteries also sparked my love of reading. There's nothing quite like being at the mercy of your own curiosity. MUST ... FIND ... OUT... WHAT... HAPPENED...

It's hard to review a friend's work. You find yourself saying, "no, I really think it's good. I'm not just saying that to be nice!" Your opinion is --ironically -- meaningless!

Nichole Giles said...

This is such a cute book. Definitely a great read. I'm excited for both you and Tristi on your newest publications. =)

And I gave you an award on my blog today. Come check it out.

Nichole

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. It was so deliciously funny! =D Great review, Karen. Great book, Tristi!

Tristi Pinkston said...

I'm giggling at the thought of you face planting into the book. :) Thanks for the great review, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the story!