Monday, October 15, 2007

Ten Most Kissable Characters

Julie Wright tagged me with the weirdest tag to date.

The author (Veronica at Toddled Dredge ) explains the tag as, “Ten Literary Characters I Would Totally Make Out With If I Were Single and They Were Real But I’m Not, Single I Mean, I Am Real, But I’m Also Happily Married and Want to Stay That Way So Maybe We Should Forget This.”

I must admit I've been at a loss on who to select. Call me strange, but I've never even thought of kissing a character-primarily because they're not real.

That being said, I've thought it over and made a few selections more because I like the characters than because I think they're in any way worth kissing, and since the only way to kiss them is to stick my mouth in a book, the point is moot. Papercut lips anyone?

1) Sparhawk from David Eddings Elenium series. I can't help but like the hard outer shell of the warrior with the kind and compassionate inner self.

2) Butch from J.A. Jance's Joanna Brady Mysteries. He's a great cook, rides a harley, and makes a great step-dad.

3) Garion from David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean series. Can't say why, exactly, but he's always seemed like a neat guy.

4) Prince Raoden from Brandon Sanderson's Elantris. The strength, determination, and compassion of this character are very appealing, though if I had to kiss him, I'd rather it be after he finished his transformation at the end of the book.

5) Death in Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality. I know, I know, it's a little psycho, but he's a really cool character and is a very compassionate incarnation once he becomes the grim reaper.

6) Skif from Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series. He's mischevious, a little reckless, and doesn't often pay attention to the rules. Gotta love it.

7) Mark Iverson from Betsy Brannon Green's Hearts in Hiding. There's just something about the protector . . . .

8) Pug from Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar Saga.

9 & 10) Okay, I'm cheating a little here. The last two are from my own book, The Sapphire Flute, but since I created characters that appeal to me, it would make sense that I'd be able to inlude them. The first is Aldarin, step-brother to MC Ember, and the second is Brant, fiancee to MC Kayla.

Well, that feels a little weird. It's kind of like posting a list of all the boys you secretly wished you had kissed over the years. I keep having to remind myself they're not real. They're not real!

Anyway, that's my list. As for who to tag, I'm not at all sure who has and hasn't been tagged on this one, so I'll just cross my fingers and leap. I'm tagging Paulette & Michelle (both of whom are moving, so it might be a while), April, and, oh, let's see . . . I'm tempted to pick James Dashner, but I don't think he'd have much success on this one. Hmmm, how about my dear friend Jenica. All right guys, have fun, and let me know when you post so I can come see!

Quote of the Day: "I think the first duty of all art, including fiction of any kind, is to entertain. That is to say, to hold interest. No matter how worthy the message of something, if it's dull, you're just not communicating."
-Poul Anderson

8 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

Karen,
That's an intereting list, and I have to laugh at the whole premise for the tag. So far, no one has tagged the LDS Writers Blogck group. BUT I wish someone would tag me so I can drive Keith Fisher and Darvell Hunt nuts by tagging them. HA! :)

Karen E. Hoover said...

Oh, man, I wish I'd thought of that! LOL! Shoot. Well, I'll pass on the word to the people I tagged and maybe one of them will tag you guys.

I guess I don't read the kinds of books that make one think about romance. I just picked some of my favorite characters and let it go at that. I can't seem to get rid of the line between fact and reality long enough to take it seriously. lol

April said...

Huh...that is really funny. I love the tag title...that sounds like something I would say! haha - I haven't read any of those books that you mentioned. I will have to work on my list. Thanks for tagging me and thinking of me!

jenica said...

i don't read.

unless i'm editing.

or blogging.

and i can't name bloggers that i would kiss... that would be gross. ;-D

Karen E. Hoover said...

Jenica - LOL! Okay, you're off the hook.

Pendragon Inman said...

oh my...
i finally got your challenge. i have NO idea how long it's gonna take me to think of the list. I may need to read a bunch more before i find some :) LOL

but thanks for thinking of me anyways, i think.

Unknown said...

Interesting selection of characters. And I chose one of my characters too.

Julie Wright said...

See how much more evil i am than you. I can totally see kissing some of those guys in books. Thanks for playing :)