Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Picture Says a Thousand Words


I have this strange habit when I write. Before I can write a single word, I have to know what my characters look like. You know the old saying, a picture says a thousand words? Well, I've found it true. The other saying that has hit me with this is that the eyes are the windows to the soul. It has been a fascinating process to me, but I've run into a bit of a dilemma.

I'm running out of pictures.

So, to fix this problem, I've come up with what I consider a brilliant solution. I''m turning to you, my readers, to help me fix it. Now, I know I'm taking a chance here, because there are some people who are determined to show much more than I'm willing to see, but I'm not asking for those kinds of pictures. I'm asking for HEAD SHOTS. Pictures of people's faces--yours in particular, and I am not asking that you be model worthy for this project. Actually, I'd prefer that you NOT be model worthy. I want angry pictures, crying pictures, laughing, scared, and threatening faces. I want angelic and devilish expressions. I want VARIETY, and the more unique your features, the better.

Now, in exchange for your head shots, here is what I will do. Sometime in the near future I will have a web site. It is being designed at the moment, and as soon as it's up I'll post the link. If I choose your face for any of my future books, I will post it there, will put your name in the acknowledgements section, and if I can finagle it with my publisher, might be able to get you an autographed book. I can't promise that until I talk to them, but I'll certainly try.

But still, to have your name in the acknowledgements? That's got to be worth a picture, don't you think?

So, if you are willing to send me a headshot, put it in the text of the e-mail (no attachments!) and send it to picsforkaren@hotmail.com. And remember, HEADSHOTS ONLY. I don't want to see anything below the neck.

Thanks in advance! I knew I could count on you all!

Quote of the day: Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.
E.L. Doctorow

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Karen! Only a headshot? My ankles are very inspiring...

Anonymous said...

I might have some cute pictures of OTHER people but me? No. Sorry, friend. =[

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to agree with L.T. I have lots of great pics of my kids, but I try hard to be on the other end of the camera. But good look with the photogenic people!

Karen E. Hoover said...

Hey, guys, you're missing the point. lol They don't have to be cute pictures. I want a large variety of pics, beautiful and not beautiful, and I'll never be posting them with the book so nobody will see them but me. :) Besides, I cannot imagine Jaime or L.T. NOT taking cute pics. :P

ali cross said...

Hey! You finally did it! Funny that we spent the evening talking about pictures, lol.

Unknown said...

What a great way to get inspiration! Good luck getting pictures. :)

Lori said...

I sent you one of my son. He's looking for a wife so he needs exposure.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thank you, Lori! He has a fascinating face. I'm positive I'll find a home for him somewhere. I'll let you know when!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hey, Kay--I finally got the pics out you asked for--sorry that it has taken me so long. :(
I tried to send it to you in a file, but it wouldn't let me!

Chas Hathaway said...

What a great idea! I'll have to look through my photos. I KNOW I have some great ugly face photos! :D

Chas

Nishant said...

But good look with the photogenic people!

Work from home India