Friday, March 6, 2009

Book Review: The Forgotten Warrior


"Sydney Morgan is no wimp. A black belt in karate, her defensive moves help keep her tough, even when her mom is diagnosed with cancer and her long-lost dad shows up to play nice guy. But when an unexpected gift transports her through space and time to the land of Zarahemla, Syd just might be in over her head. Accused of being a spy, she has to prove she’s no threat to the locals—including Captain Helaman himself!

As war quickly approaches, Helaman calls on Syd to help his stripling warriors prepare to fight. Torn between concern for her family and for her new friends, Syd musters her wits, strength, and faith to face the coming battle—but her feelings for Chief Warrior Tarik put her heart on the line. Who will survive the Lamanites’ fierce onslaught? And will Syd ever make it home again?"

I didn't expect to like this book nearly as much as I did. From the moment I found out Syd's mother owned the dojo where she trained I was hooked. It was heartbreaking seeing the broken relationship with her father, and fascinating to watch her interact with the stripling warriors. I certainly hope there is a sequel to this one as the one thing I did not like was the ending. I wanted to see what happened to Syd and whether she got back home or not.

In my eyes that's the sign of a good book. If you get me involved enough in the characters that I actually care what happens to them then you've succeeded in your writing. I look forward to seeing where Kathi goes from here.

Book: The Forgotten Warrior by Kathi Oram Peterson

Available at Deseret Book

Check out the her websites here and her blog here

2 comments:

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Thank you, Karen, for reading and reviewing my book.You're the first person to say that what hooked you was Syd's mother owning a dojo. :)

Haley Hatch Freeman said...

I'm finshing up this book now and I really enjoy the characters and idea behind the story. My review will be posted on the 12th.
It was fun reading your review since I knew what you were talking about. Thanks.