Friday, July 25, 2008

Book Review: All's Fair



I first met Julie Bellon at the 2006 LDStorymakers conference. We were standing in line for lunch and my friend was chatting with her so I joined in, not realizing at the time that she was a published author. She was very friendly and so easy to talk to I quickly came to love her, and once I began reading her books my admiration grew even more. Julie has the ability to create characters that readers care about, which is the most important aspect of a book for me, up and above everything else.


All's Fair is the story of brother and sister Brandon and Kristen Shepherd. The book nabbed me on page one when I found Kristen running away from the altar, and my connection with her was finalized when she found herself climbing a fence in her wedding dress, rain pouring down, and she slips and falls in the mud. The picture was so vivid and my heart ached for her right then. I was hooked. Add to that Brandon, a military doctor in Iraq who is captured by the enemy, and I had a very hard time putting this book down. Julie always does that to me. It doesn't matter what else is going on, I will avoid it to dive into her books and devour them as quickly as I can.


Great characters, fascinating plot--you can't go wrong with this one. It gets a big two thumbs up from me!

Quote of the Day: "A writer's mind seems to be situated partly in the solar plexus and partly in the head."
~Ethel Wilson

3 comments:

Rachelle Christensen said...

I can't wait to read this. Thanks for sharing. Julie is great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your review Karen! I'm so glad you liked it.

Julie

Cathy said...

Wow, I've never read one of Julie's books, but you've got my attention now. Thanks for the review, Karen.