Monday, September 24, 2007

Ode to Pepsi

As a seventeen-year-old night owl going to early morning seminary, I found myself falling asleep in class on a repeated basis. After a particularly embarrassing moment of waking up in biology thirty minutes after class had ended, I found a quick, simple, and tasty way to avoid falling asleep: Pepsi. I've been addicted for nineteen years now and have decided it's time to give it up. So, as a final farewell to my Pepsi drinking days, I'm posting a poem I wrote a couple years ago. It's called . . . .

Ode to Pepsi

Oh, Pepsi, friend
thou dost lift me up
and send great bursts of life
through sluggish veins
that waken mine eyes
and quicken my step
so that I might finish the day
I have begun.

Oh, fiendish friend,
thy taste is acid to my gut
though sweetened tongue
and dependant blood
doth cause me to partke of thee
time and time again
despite the burning heart
and shaking hands.

Oh, Pepsi,
thou who dost masquerade thyself
as friend, when thou art in truth
a parasite that gives me bursts of life,
but takes it from me again,
and I am forced to drink thy acid
once again, or resign myself to a nap
-- and I,
fool that I am,
would rather poison myself than sleep.


I shall poison myself no more! Pepsi - we're done. Adios, amigo.


Quote of the Day: "I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing. They teach a writer to rely on his own judgment and to say in his heart of hearts, 'To hell with you.' " - Saul Bellow

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I cheer you on, my friend. I'm in the midst of Mountain Dew withdrawal right now. Aloe Juice and Xoçai chocolates are soothing the savage beasts of withdrawal and allowing me to sleep or work as I choose. Still not feeling good. Hang in there and drink A LOT of water.

Love the poem. Change that out for Mountain Dew and you could have been writing about me.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Thanks, Candace. Glad you like to poem. Best of luck in overcoming your own challenge.

Julie Wright said...

Dr Pepper is my devil-pop of choice. I enjoyed your ode and your quote. You are awesome; you know that don't you?

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey, we need to start a movement. Everyone, it's time to give up your addictions! I'm over four weeks chocolate free, by the way.

Karlene said...

I lived on Pepsi and Flickettes when I was in college--especially during finals week. Later switched to diet Coke. It's tough, but I've been caffeine and soda free for nearly 9 years now. You can do it.

Love the quote. I need to practice that. :)

And I'd jump on Tristi's bandwagon except that one of my addictions is blogging and reading blogs...don't think I want to give that up just yet.

Karen E. Hoover said...

Julie - Awww, stop it. You'll make me blush! lol Glad you liked it.

Tristi - Here, here! Great idea!

Karlene - Good for you! You give me hope. The quote really grabbed me last night. I like it too. :) I don't think I could give up blogging or reading blogs either. We'll just have to stick to the edibles, eh?